Whitby Digital Lead Coordinator - Person Specification
• Receive and cascade information using the Neighbourhood Watch Network’s “Ourwatch”
messaging service together with the use of social media and other digital platforms.
• Encourage NHW coordinators to report suspicious incidents and / or criminal or anti-social
behaviour to the police or local authority digitally and to share their concerns across the
wider Whitby area using social media and other digital platforms including WhatsApp.
• Promote neighbourliness by encouraging all members to keep an eye on each other’s
homes and possessions, giving special consideration to supporting vulnerable neighbours
without access to digital devices by the creation of ‘telephone trees’ or other means.
• Signpost local NHW coordinators with community safety or other concerns to the most
appropriate local organisations.
• Support their local police and other agencies to identify local issues and solve problems
where there are local community concerns.
• Liaise with various local community agencies /groups in Whitby Area including:
o North Yorkshire Police - Whitby PCSO with responsibly for NHW. Whitby
o Patient Participations Groups (x5 in Whitby Area)
o Scarbrough & Ryedale Carers Resource
o Whitby Community Alliance
o Foodbank4Whitby (& Hinderwell and Staithes Branch)
o Revival (North Yorkshire)
o Caring Together Whitby and District
o CaVCA (Coast and Vale Community Action)
• Encourage local Coordinators and members to be actively engaged with the
Neighbourhood Watch Association through their “Ourwatch” membership following
registration using messaging, emails and secure social media platforms.
• Coach and advise on the prerequisites for setting up secure and safe NHW
membership engagement tools including the use of Facebook Private Groups.
• Encourage and support Whitby Area’s NHW Coordinators to engage with digital
communication and adopt a ‘digital first’ mindset when responding to NHW alerts.